Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Not Another Art Blog!

But really, why do we need another art blog?

I have spent the better part of ten years studying art history and studio art, but even I find keeping up with the current trends in the art market daunting. Aside from needing to read every new review, article, and thesis, it is incredibly difficult in our globalized world to keep up with the international, national, and the virtual art world.*

So I am starting small. This blog was made in part to help educate others and in part to guide me. I believe that the "everyday Joe" is intimidated by the contemporary art gallery, just as a latte-sipping, beret-wearing gallery owner might be intimidated by a football game. Its only natural that people like to stick with what they know.

In hopes to one day become an advocate for the arts in the 'real' world, I thought I would try to keep up with the arts in a less formal and more inviting forum. So I open up myself to your thoughts, suggestions, praises, and complaints about where this journey should lead.

Criticism, like rain, should be gentle enough to nourish a man's growth without destroying his roots. -Frank A. Clark


Okay, now to the nitty-gritty, here are a couple of notes on the topics I will choose. Due to the fact that well-known artists, museums, and art centers have been covered by every art blog, art museum, and curator, this site will focus on local modern and contemporary artists, exhibitions, and events.** This will provide me with a challenge and you with rare tidbits. However, local may mean something different to you than to me. I live in several different places in one year, depending on season, holiday, and job,  so my topics will range from city to city. Enjoy!





*If you do want to read every article, my links are a good place to start!
**Although for most of my topic choices this is true, I will need to cover a range of well known and less known styles and movements.

4 comments:

  1. This is a great idea and there are many of us out there who know very little about art and need it spelled out to us in layman's terms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey es! nice to read you here!

    i'm sure it will work out how you wish!

    love,
    Michele :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's a great blog; I like that you have clearly stated your goals and written a profile. And I read a lot of art blogs but you can really never have enough. It's only by our collective effort that we'll get a complete picture.

    I write for illywords, it's a magazine of "things contemporary" (not just visual arts) that has been around in paper form for a decade but just recently moved online and opened a blog too. Hope you'll check it out!
    cheers
    Alexandra (fellow art historian)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments Alexandra, I am glad you like my blog!!! illywords looks like a great magazine. I've added it to my favorite links so that all my readers can enjoy it too! Take care, and feel free to comment anytime!
    -Ester

    ReplyDelete

"Art is less important than life but what a poor life without it."

Robert Motherwell