Monday, November 15, 2010

Events: Torino Artissima

Since surprise trips seem to be the theme for my Fall art calendar, I thought I would share some quick images from my most recent 10 hour trip to Turin, Italy. I went specifically to see (and be seen) at Artissima, the city's annual art fair.


Artissima is neither the largest nor the smallest of fairs. It is pretty mid-sized and includes a book and magazine area, a print shop, 4 different bars/cafes, a theater space called the House of Contamination, and a lecture space. This year was the fair's 15th anniversary.

I say "and be seen", because this was all courtesy of my internship at the Secretariat Schlemmer due to the fact that the fair hosted the reconstructions of Oskar Schlemmer's Bauhaus Dances, as interpreted by Debra McCall in 1984 in it's House of Contamination.

Instead of just showing close-ups of work that really struck a chord, I realized as I walked around the fair that to many people the concept of the art fair is very abstract. Therefore, this time I took some general pictures of the fair itself.

The day I went was the preview, so it was much less packed than it will be. Or at least, that is what the galleries hope. More people equals more prospective buyers.

After Basel and Berlin, I feel like I might actually be getting the hang of these fairs. However, as visually stimulating as they are, let's not forget that it is the galleries job to sell, sell, sell! Which is definitely the part I hate.

An exciting and entertaining part of these fairs is that they are the perfect opportunity for performance artists to venture out and "do their thing." In one of the pictures below you may notice a woman in a white dress. She was one such performance artist who strolled around the fair in a type of LSD induced serenity and randomly gave fair-goers amazing hugs.

As always, enjoy the pictures!







 



On wall: Germaine Kruip, Counter Composition II, 2007
On ground: Amaya Gonzales Reyes, Estrategias Formales, 2009
Parra & Romero, Madrid, Spain
Aida Ruilova, unknown
Kaufman Repetto, Milano, Italy


Per Barclap, Ballerina (Chatrine), 2001
Giorgio Persano, Torino, Italy


Masbedo, The Art of Happiness, 2010
Marco Noire Contemporary Art, Torino, Italy

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Art is less important than life but what a poor life without it."

Robert Motherwell