Friday, October 1, 2010

Events: ArtsPark

I'm back!


My thesis is done, turned in, and I am ready to get back to the art blog world. I have a lot of events to catch you up on, like the Stresa Festival and a recent gallery visit. But, I wanted to take this opportunity to talk about a great event happening in Dallas, Texas today and tomorrow (October 1st and 2nd). 


ArtsPark is an event that stresses exactly what I have been trying to say all along, if you mix art with free, people will get involved. Art and Seek's Anne Bothwell describes it perfectly "One hundred arts groups. One day. One-stop shopping for culture at North Park Mall." 


ArtsPark is the brainchild of the the Northpark Center and the Business Council for the Arts. What better way to get people in Dallas interested, than sponsoring an event at a Mall. As a Dallas girl and I know just how much we, men and women alike, LOVE to shop in that city.


So what is ArtsPark? Well its much like a college or career fair, in that ArtsPark highlights the many diverse art centers and associations in North Texas by giving then booth space. So you walk around and pick up information on the various art groups. The goal is that you will hopefully find one that interests you and become involved.  


So venture out there on Friday if you want to dip your toes in the cultural scene and experience some FREE performances and then return on Saturday to sign up to volunteer at one of the great art groups in North Texas. 


This is your chance to get involved in the arts in a pretty safe environment. Shop around for the art organization that suits your interest and your comfort level. 


For those of you in the area, here is a bit of homework: go and tell me how it was. I am pretty bummed that I am missing out on an event that practices everything I preach! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Art is less important than life but what a poor life without it."

Robert Motherwell